Starting April 2, 2021, we will begin automatically renewing your items three days before their due date. If your item is eligible for renewal and no one else is waiting for it, we will automatically renew it for you up to two times. This means you get to spend more time with the items you love without lifting a finger.
Please see our frequently asked questions below for details.
Q: Which items are eligible for automatic renewal?
Items eligible for two automatic renewals:
- DVDs and Blu-rays
- STEAMbox kits
Items eligible for one automatic renewal:
- American Girl and Barbie dolls
- Mobile hotspots
- Roku Ultras
- Amazon Fire Tablets
Q: Which items are not eligible for automatic renewal?
- Studio 300 equipment
- Lucky Day items
- Digital media (eBooks, eAudiobooks, Streaming Media, etc.)
- Items that have already been renewed the maximum number of times
- Items with holds on them are not eligible for renewal
Additionally, if your account is blocked, your items will not automatically renew.
Interlibrary loans (ILL) may be renewed upon approval from the lending library. Please contact 630.759.2102 prior to the item’s due date to request an ILL renewal.
Q: Will I get less time to borrow an item because of automatic renewals?
No. Automatic renewals calculate the new due date based on the original due date so you will not lose any time with the item.
Q: How will I know if an item is automatically renewed?
You will receive an email or text message (depending on your notification preference) three days before your item is due to let you know if the item was automatically renewed or if it is almost due.
Q: Can I still renew my items manually?
Yes. If you wish to renew an item prior to the automatic renewal date, you can do so by following one of the steps below. Please note, manual renewals will extend the borrowing period from the date of renewal, not from the original due date.
- Log into your library account via any device or our mobile app.
- Send us a Text-a-Librarian message asking us to renew your items.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and items you wish to renew.
- Call our Circulation team at 630.759.2102.
- Visit the 1st Floor Circulation Desk, Bookmobile or a self-check station.
We hope you’ll enjoy this new service!