March is around the corner, and that means the National Day of Unplugging is coming up!
National Day of Unplugging is an awareness campaign that promotes a 24-hour respite from technology, annually observed the first weekend in March. For more than a decade, schools, religious institutions, businesses and libraries have participated in this initiative to inspire healthy life/tech balance within their communities.
This year, Little Free Libraries and Unplug Collaborative have partnered to bring Little Free Library scavenger hunts to neighborhoods around the world. Are you interested in coordinating a scavenger hunt for your area? This year, it’s easier to participate than ever. Learn more by visiting the National Day of Unplugging website.
Here are five ways to start unplugging with the Bookmobile team:
1. Participate in a Nature Scavenger Hunt
Bring this completed flyer to the Bookmobile and receive a free book: NDU Nature Scavenger Hunt
2. Sign up for a library card
Did you know that you don’t have to come to the library building to get a library card? We can create one for you while you are on the Bookmobile.
3. Check out popular materials
Climb aboard the Bookmobile to check out our bestsellers, magazines, audiobooks, music, video games and more! Our friendly Outreach staff can make recommendations on the most popular books, movies and TV shows. The Bookmobile has it all: history, science, true crime, romance, summer reads and beyond! And if you don’t find what you want, let us know and we’ll order it for you.
4. Return your items and pick up holds on the Bookmobile
We have tons of scheduled stops around Bolingbrook at convenient locations such as Target, IKEA and Best Buy. So you can get your groceries at Target then visit us at the Bookmobile to discover what your library (and the Bookmobile) has to offer!
5. Join us this Spring for crafts, stories and games!
March: Spot the Bookmobile Contest
Test your knowledge of our Bookmobile locations, and you could win a prize! It’s easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Pick up a game sheet on the Bookmobile any time in March.
- Tell us the location of the Bookmobile in every picture.
- Submit your answers online at: email@example.com or turn them into the Bookmobile to double your chances of winning.
We’ll have a drawing for adults, teens and kids at the end of the month.
April: Celebrate National Humor Month on the Bookmobile
What’s your favorite joke? Here’s one of ours: I’m reading a book about anti-gravity—it’s impossible to put down!
Tell us a joke (or ask us for a joke) and you’ll get a “punny” prize. We’ll have books that are sure to make you laugh and silly activity sheets to give away. And don’t forget about all the funny movies on DVD available to check out.
May: National Paper Airplane Day
National Paper Airplane Day is Thursday, May 26, and we’re having airplane fun all month long on the Bookmobile!
- Test out some high-flying paper airplane samples (made by your favorite Bookmobile friends) or create one of your own.
- Pick up a paper airplane kit while supplies last.
- And learn all about airplanes, rockets and outer space with our kid-friendly eResources TrueFlix, ScienceFlix, and Scholastic Go!